Blueberry Quinoa Salad will fill your tummy and boost your mood. The star of this recipe is the blueberries that are on the salad and in the dressing. Blueberries, and berries in general, are jam-packed with phytonutrients that act as both an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. They may help manage the inflammation associated with depression. The flavonoids in blueberries can improve your mood. Walnuts, dark leafy greens, and quinoa can all boost your mood too.
Want more salad recipes?
My cookbook Healthy Fresh Salads contains:
- Over 30 gluten-free, unique, and fresh salad recipes created by Holistic Nutritionists
- A delicious cookbook with full-colour vibrant pictures
- Guide to creating the ultimate salad
- Instructions on how to clean fruits and veggies
- Information about GMO foods and how to avoid them
- Importance of eating the rainbow
- Guide to buying fresh produce on a budget
Mood-Boosting Blueberry Quinoa Salad Recipe
gluten-free & vegan
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Serves 2
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Bring water to a boil, add quinoa and bring to a boil once more. Cover, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Once cooked, allow time to completely cool.
- Place walnuts in a dry frying pan on high heat. Toast by constantly shaking them until golden and fragrant, 3 minutes. This step is optional, but it makes it quite tasty.
- In a small food processor, blend together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, blueberries, honey, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl add the cooled quinoa, baby spinach, blueberries, walnuts and red onions. Add dressing and toss to coat.
PER SERVING: CALORIES: 658, FAT: 38 g, SAT. FAT: 5 g, CARBS: 73 g, FIBER: 10 g, SUGARS: 33 g, PROTEIN: 12 g, SODIUM: 229 mg, CHOLESTEROL: 0 mg