Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup is the ultimate comfort food and it is super easy to make. I’m super excited to share this recipe from my cookbook Healthy Homemade Soups and Sandwiches.
Regular broccoli cheddar soup is full of milk and cheese which makes my tummy hurt, so I created a vegan version. I added nutritional yeast and cashew butter to make it creamy and cheesy.
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup contains garlic and cayenne pepper which both have amazing healing properties. Herbs and spices also offer a wide range of healing properties from easing digestion to reducing inflammation.
There are lots and lots of fabulous herbs and spices, but I have chosen to profile my twelve favourites in my free eBook Healing Herbs and Spices.
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
(vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, nightshade free)
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes | Serving Size: 4
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 big broccoli florets, chopped (4.5 cups)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped (1.2 cups)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup nut milk
- ¼-½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup cashew butter
- ¾ cups nutritional yeast
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place oil in a large pot and heat to medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes until soft. Now add garlic, and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add broccoli, potatoes, broth, nut milk, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook until potatoes are soft, roughly 15 minutes.
- Add cashew butter, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Purée Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup in batches in a food processor or with an immersion blender.
- Top with roasted broccoli, roasted potatoes, nutritional yeast and pepper.
Soups are bursting with health benefits
They are packed with healing herbs that can reduce inflammation, ease digestion, and provide antioxidant support.
Soup is a fantastic way to get more veggies into your diet and studies have found that soup consumption can help with weight management.
Soups are probably the easiest meal to make but they are something we tend to buy pre-made for convenience.
In my cookbook Healthy Homemade Soups & Sandwiches I share over 20 soup recipes that are bursting with flavour using whole food ingredients.