Skip gingerbread men this holiday season and try my Orange-Scented Gingerbread Squares. The orange zest elevates this dairy-free dessert making it special and setting it apart from other Gingerbread recipes you have tried. These are squares sweetened with blackstrap molasses and spiced with warming ginger and blood sugar balancing cinnamon. They are awesome topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Virtual Holiday Cooking Classes
You may not be able to come together in person this year to celebrate your accomplishments as a team, but you can still have a fun and engaging virtual holiday party. Team-building virtual cooking classes are a great way to unite remote employees and allow them a relaxed place to reconnect. Fill your house with the delicious smells of holiday baking and mingle with co-workers over a festive holiday cocktail.
My Orange-Scented Gingerbread Square are part of my Elevated Gingerbread Cooking Class. Along with the squares, we make your choice of either Gingerbread Hot Chocolate or a Gingerbread Hot Toddy Cocktail. If you like molasses you will love this class! Learn more about the Virtual Holiday Team Building Activities I offer here.
Orange-Scented Gingerbread Squares Recipe
dairy-free & nut-free
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Serving size: 9 – 16
- 2 ¼ cups spelt flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp Himalayan rock salt
- 1 ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup oat milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tsp orange zest
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and line an 8×8 brownie pan with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix eggs, molasses, melted coconut oil, oat milk, vanilla and 2 tsp orange zest.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into the pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the Orange-Scented Gingerbread Squares cool for 30 minutes. Top with a dusting of icing sugar and 1 tsp orange zest.