Baba Ganoush Quinoa Bowl is fresh, filling, and makes the perfect lunch or dinner. It is a protein-packed dish that is topped with one of my favourite dipping sauces, baba ganoush. Baba ganoush is similar to hummus (my first love) but it has an eggplant base and is totally legume-free (hello paleo). It is yummy with this bowl, but you can enjoy it as a veggie dip the same way you would hummus.
Health benefits of parsley
I cover the health benefits of eggplant in my Roasted Eggplant recipe, so today I decided to talk about parsley.
- Parsley is very high in vitamin K which promotes proper blood clotting and bone health
- It is high in antioxidants like vitamin C which supports the immune system
- Parsley is great for freshening your breath after a meal
- It can help support heart health due to high concentrations of folate that can lower homocysteine levels
Baba Ganoush Quinoa Bowl Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 60 minutes | Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- 2 cups diced tomato
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup black olives
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (one lemon)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut eggplant in half and brush with 1 tsp avocado oil. Place cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes until eggplant is very soft and starting to collapse.
- Cook the 1 cup quinoa as directed on the package while the eggplant is cooking.
- For the dressing; mince one garlic clove or process in a food processor. Add the tahini, lemon juice, oil, water, salt and pepper and whisk or blend until smooth. Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
- Scoop out the flesh of the eggplant and place it in a sieve over a bowl and add ½ tsp salt. Let it drain for 10 minutes shaking it every now and then to release the water. Transfer the drained eggplant to a food processor and add the garlic, lemon juice and tahini. Blend until smooth.
- To assemble, place ¾ cup quinoa in the bottom of a bowl. Top with ½ cup cucumber, tomato, and carrot, 1/3 cup baba ganoush, 2 Tbsp chopped parsley, 2 Tbsp olives and ¼ cup dressing.
PER SERVING (1/4 recipe): CALORIES: 649, FAT: 47 g, SAT. FAT: 7 g, CARBS: 52 g, FIBER: 14 g, SUGARS: 10 g, PROTEIN: 15 g, SODIUM: 800 mg, CHOLESTEROL: 0 mg