Lemon Poppy Seed Bites are one of my favourite grab-and-go breakfasts or snacks. You can make a triple batch and store them in the freezer for easy access when hunger strikes. They are also a great mood and energy booster!
Nuts and seeds like walnuts and chia seeds are high in protein, healthy fat, and fibre. They contain tryptophan which is an amino acid that produces serotonin, the happy chemical. They also contain omega-3 fats, which have been shown to improve mood. Chia seeds contain Omega 3s which have also been shown to improve mood. We could all use a bit of a boost to our mood!
Eat your way to high energy levels
In my course Eat Clean for Energy I share lots of yummy recipes like this one that are bursting with energy-boosting ingredients. I also explain how the macro and micronutrients in the food you eat directly correlate to the amount of energy that’s available to you. From healthy fats to adaptogens, essential vitamins and balancing blood sugar levels, I break it down and shows which foods zap energy and which foods make it soar.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bites Recipe
gluten-free & dairy-free
Prep time: 10 minutes | Chill time: 40 minutes | Serving size: 8 large balls
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds, divided
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, divided
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Place coconut, walnuts and chia seeds in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix together coconut oil, lemon juice, honey, vanilla extract, and half of the lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Add coconut walnut mixture and half of the poppy seeds and stir until mixed.
- Let sit for 10 minutes in the fridge to solidify.
- Roll into 8 balls and coat with remaining lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Place Lemon Poppy Seed Bites in the freezer to set for 30 minutes. Store in the freezer.
PER BALL: CALORIES: 282, FAT: 25 g, SAT. FAT: 19 g, CARBS: 17 g, FIBER: 8 g, SUGARS: 8 g, PROTEIN: 4 g, SODIUM: 5 mg, CHOLESTEROL: 0 mg