Lentil Sweet Potato Pie is a comforting dish that leaves you feeling satisfied and happy. The herb-infused lentil veggie mixture is topped with creamy sweet potatoes with a touch of cinnamon. Lentils are high in folate and vitamin B6 which boost your mood and helps prevent neural tube defects.
Importance of folate during pregnancy
Folate is the most important B vitamin during pregnancy and before conception because it helps prevent neural tube defects. It also helps with the formation of red blood cells, aids in the growth and reproduction of cells, and supports your baby’s nervous system development. Pregnant women need 400 to 600mcg per day which you can get through your prenatal vitamin but also through food.
The most nutrient-dense sources of vitamin B9 are:
- Pinto beans
- Black beans
- Kidney beans
- Navy beans
To learn more about nutrients that are important for pregnancy and other pregnancy power foods, check out my book Healthy Holistic Pregnancy.
Lentil Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cooking time: 45 minutes | Serving Size: 4-6
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk, divided
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 red onion, diced
- 1.5 cups diced carrot, one large carrot
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp spelt flour
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- Rinse lentil in a small pot and pick out any rocks. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to boil, add sweet potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain sweet potatoes and mash with ½ cup almond milk, 1 tbsp butter, ¼ tsp cinnamon,1/8 salt and 1/8 pepper.
- Heat a frying pan to medium and melt 1 tbsp butter. Add onion and carrot and sauté for 10 minutes. Add green beans, lentils and garlic and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat melt 1 tbsp butter, add spelt flour, and whisk until smooth. Slowly whisk in almond milk so that there are no clumps. Whisk in 1/8 tsp pepper, ½ tsp thyme, ½ tsp dried rosemary, ½ tsp dried parsley, and 1/8 tsp salt, and let thicken for 2 minutes.
- Add sauce to the lentil mixture and cook till heated throughout.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Place the lentil mixture at the bottom of a casserole dish. Evenly spread the mashed sweet potatoes over the lentil mixture and top with paprika.
- Broil Lentil Sweet Potato Pie 8 inches from the top of the oven until the sweet potatoes are golden brown, 5 minutes.
PER 1/4 RECIPE: CALORIES: 633, FAT: 19 g, SAT. FAT: 2 g, CARBS: 38 g, FIBER: 5 g, SUGARS: 5 g, PROTEIN: 78 g, SODIUM: 420 mg, CHOLESTEROL: 163 mg