This yummy gluten-free cornbread is the perfect accompaniment for your warm bowl of soup or chili on a cool night. I also love as a snack with a cup of tea. It is super simple to make and practically foolproof. The recipe was created by Andrea Kmecza for my Healthy Homemade Soups and Sandwiches Cookbook.
If you are looking for a soup recipe to go with this gluten-free cornbread, check out my cookbook Healthy Homemade Soups and Sandwiches.
Healthy Homemade Soups & Sandwiches is for you if you:
- Want to start making healthier choices for yourself and your family but don’t want to eat boring and tasteless “health food”
- Spend lots of money buying canned soups
- Are looking for easy meals that take little to no cooking skills
- Want to save money and get the most bang for your buck nutritionally
- Are looking for great recipes so you can mix things up and not serve the same dishes all the time
- Like to eat sandwiches for lunch but are bored of PB&J
- Have lots of picky eaters in your house who say they won’t eat healthy food
Gluten-Free Cornbread Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 20-22 minutes | Serving Size: 6
- 1 ¼ cup organic cornmeal
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 organic eggs
- ¼ melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Zest of 1 lime (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl combine all your dry ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl combine all your wet ingredients including the lime zest if using.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture in a greased 8×8-baking pan and bake for 20-22 min until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then slice and serve warm with a touch of coconut butter.
- Store in the fridge and consume within 2 days, or freeze.
To make mini loaves:
Pour the batter into greased square or round muffin tin, top with grated lime zest and bake for 18-20 minutes at 400F. Yields 12 mini loaves.
To make gluten-free cornbread in a castiron skillet:
Use same ingredients, but omit zest of lime and add 1 cup of corn kernels. Preheat your oven to 425F and heat your castiron skillet for 10 min. Remove from oven, lower the oven temperature to 375F and add 1 tbsp coconut oil and grease the skillet. Pour in your batter and sprinkle with chili flakes. Bake for 18-20 min until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting and serving.