Banana Coconut Blue Matcha Smoothie is creamy, delicious, and very blue! It is a tasty combination of coconut and banana with a hint of blue matcha.
I also added steamed cauliflower to this Banana Coconut Blue Matcha Smoothie! I wanted to keep the smoothie light in colour so the blue colour came through but I still wanted a veggie in there, I promise you can’t taste it.
Want to jump on the smoothie bandwagon but don’t know where to start?
Holistic in the City 21 Day Smoothie Guide contains 21 delicious smoothie recipes made with love by 7 Holistic Nutritionists.
It also has lots of information including our basic smoothie formula, the answer to the age-old debate of juicing vs smoothies and what to look for when buying protein powder.
I came across blue matcha when I was trying to figure out how to make a smoothie blue for my gender reveal on Breakfast Television (if you missed the segment watch it here). I really didn’t want to use food colouring and blueberries make the smoothies super purple and not blue at all. There is a way to make blue food dye with red cabbage, but I didn’t think that would taste very good.
I did lots of searching and concluded there are no foods that are naturally blue until I found blue matcha!
Health benefits of blue matcha
Blue matcha is made from the “Clitoria” flower (teehee), which is a feminine bright blue flower. Blue matcha is used in Ayurvedic medicine, here are some of the health benefits:
- It makes you a smarty-pants because it raises cognitive functions including enhancing intelligence activity and heightening memory.
- It is caffeine free and has a calming effect that reduces stress and anxiety.
- Blue matcha is great for hair growth because the blue flower has bioflavonoids that encourage hair growth, thicken the hair, and reduce greys.
- Anti-oxidants in blue matcha arouse collagen and elastin synthesis aiding to regenerate the skin, reduce wrinkles, and signs of ageing skin.
Banana Coconut Blue Matcha Smoothie
(gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free)
Prep time: 5 minutes | Serves 1
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut water
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1 cup steamed cauliflower, frozen
- 1 scoop collagen* optional
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp blue matcha
- Blend and enjoy!