Healthy candy cane desserts are my holiday obsession! I don’t really like candy canes by themselves, but I love that peppermint crunch that magically happens when candy canes are hiding in my baking.
I’m so excited to share my love for candy cane desserts on Breakfast Television on December 21st at 8:20 am.
In my holiday baking, I like to use these organic candy canes that are sweetened with cane juice, brown rice syrup and coloured with fruit juice. This way I can avoid processed sugars and food colouring.
For today’s roundup, I’m sharing all of the candy cane desserts I made during the show.
Healthy Candy Cane Desserts
Candy Cane Blondies
Now, this isn’t the healthiest recipe around but ‘tis the season, so let’s be naughty. Candy Cane Blondies are moist, minty and taste like the holidays.
The best way to get perfectly crushed candy cane pieces is by using a small food processor. Make sure you don’t pulse the candy canes for too long or else your crunchy candy cane pieces will turn into a powder. If you don’t have a small food processor, you can place the candy canes in a very thick bag and crush them with a mallet or rolling pin.
Candy Cane Bark
Candy Cane Bark melts in your mouth and the candy cane pieces sprinkled throughout the bark bring a satisfying peppermint crunch. It is one of my favourite candy cane dessert because it is super easy to make.
The base of the carob bark is actually super healthy and sugar-free! It is made with carob powder, stevia, peppermint extract and coconut oil. This recipe is the perfect festive treat to bring to a holiday party because it is vegan, gluten-free and low in sugar.
You can find a similar recipe to this one and over 30 healthy dessert recipes in my cookbook Healthy Dairy Free Desserts!
Healthy Dairy Free Desserts is for you if:
- You want to start making healthier choices for yourself and your family but don’t want to give up desserts
- Dairy makes you bloated and gassy or causes skin issues like acne or eczema
- You are sensitive or allergic to dairy and have really been struggling to cut it out of your diet
- You seriously miss desserts and can’t buy store bought desserts because of food allergies
- Someone you know is lactose intolerant and you want to be able to bake dairy free desserts for them
- Learning more about baking with alternative healthy ingredients is something that interests you
- You are looking for simple recipes that can be quickly whipped up to combat sugar cravings
- Time and time again you find it disappointing to be at family gatherings and parties with friends and not enjoy the same treats
Candy Cane Spelt Cookies
We all know Santa loves candy cane desserts, especially cookies! Candy Cane Spelt Cookies are soft and buttery with a festive candy cane crunch.
Spelt flour is the secret ingredient in these cookies. It gives them a nutty sweet flavour that I adore. I love baking with spelt flour because it has more protein and minerals than regular whole wheat flours.
Candy Cane Black Bean Brownies
Candy Canes add a festive peppermint crunch to these healthy gluten free brownies. Yeah, that’s right; candy cane black bean brownies are actually healthy!
Candy Cane Black Bean Brownies are sweetened with honey and laced with sweet chocolate chips and minty candy canes. The fibre in the black beans will regulate the speed at which sugars are released into your body. This means this candy cane dessert won’t spike your sugar levels and you won’t end up with a sugar crash a couple hours later.