Fiesta Beans and Rice is a filling vegetarian dish you will be making again and again. The combination of beans, rice, salsa, avocado and feta create a party for your taste buds. Animal proteins contain all of the 9 essential amino acids; therefore they are called complete proteins. Plant-based foods usually contain some, but not all, of the essential amino acids. Plant-based foods must be combined to create complete proteins that the body can use. Beans and rice are the perfect vegetarian combination to create a complete protein profile.
Get more recipes and meal plans with the CE All-Access
I’m thrilled to be creating recipes and monthly meal plans for the new Clean Eating Membership called CE All-Access. Members pay $64 a year to access meal plans on Cleaneating.com, a subscription to the new Clean Eating Meals mobile app that includes a meal planning tool, shopping list builder, macro tracker and online grocery ordering, plus webinars with experts (like me!), and other great perks.
Fiesta Beans and Rice Recipe
(gluten-free, vegetarian, nut-free)
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 56 minutes | Serves 3
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 cups brown rice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1.5 cups cooked black beans
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 ½ tsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup feta cheese
- Heat coconut oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add rice, 2 garlic cloves, oregano and chili powder and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add black beans, water and ¼ tsp salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, turn off the heat and let sit for an additional 5 minutes before fluffing.
- Make the salsa by combining tomatoes, 1 minced garlic clove, 2 cilantro, lime juice, and ¼ tsp salt.
- To make one serving, place 1/3 of the rice mixture in a bowl. Top with 2/3 cups salsa, 1/3 avocado and 1/3 cup feta cheese. Garnish with cilantro and a wedge of lime.
PER SERVING: CALORIES: 747, FAT: 26 g, SAT. FAT: 10 g, CARBS: 110 g, FIBER: 18 g, SUGARS: 7 g, PROTEIN: 23 g, SODIUM: 784 mg, CHOLESTEROL: 30 mg