Dairy-Free Chicken Alfredo Pasta is a creamy gourmet dish made with nutritional yeast and cashews instead of heavy cream. The creamy pasta is laced with mushrooms, onions and spinach. It is easily made gluten-free if you use brown rice pasta.
Carbohydrates are known as a quick energy source. In general, carbohydrates are found in plant foods because they are produced by photosynthesis. When we think of carbs the first thing that comes to mind is bread, pasta, or anything made with grains. Carbohydrates are also found in dairy products, fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, and seeds.
Eat Clean for Energy
In my course Eat Clean for Energy, I explain how the macro and micronutrients in the food you eat directly correlate to the amount of energy that’s available to you.
In this 7-week course, you’ll learn:
- How to zero in on what’s slumping your energy
- Foods that charge…and foods that drain
- Recipes and cooking techniques to boost and build energy levels that last
- How many carbs, protein and fat you should eat daily for your weight and energy goals
- How intermittent fasting can contribute to soaring energy and mental clarity
- To snack or not to snack?
- How blood sugar and the glycemic index works
- Structuring meals that balance blood sugar throughout the day
- Incorporating adaptogens to balance adrenal fatigue and thyroid dysfunction
- The powerful benefits of medicinal mushrooms
- The importance of hydration for energy and ATP production
- Understanding healthy vs. unhealthy fats
- The power of probiotics, enzymes and fermented foods
- Determining food allergies
- Principles for building a healthy lifestyle including healthy sleep, stress and exercise
Dairy-Free Chicken Alfredo Pasta Recipe
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 23 minutes | Serves 4
- 4 cups dried pasta, I use brown rice pasta
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 10 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts, roughly 2 breast diced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 big garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup almond milk or any milk alternative
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ – 1 tsp red pepper flakes to taste
- Prepare pasta as directed on the package. Undercook the pasta slightly as it will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Heat 1 tbsp avocado oil in a large pot or extra-large frying pan. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken and mushrooms and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by placing the garlic and cashews in a food processor and pulse until minced. Add the almond milk, nutritional yeast, tahini, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, paprika, salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the pot along with the spinach. Cook for 5 minutes on medium until heated through and until the spinach has just wilted.
- Rinse and drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Stir until mixed and heated through, roughly 3 minutes. Serve and garnish Dairy-Free Chicken Alfredo Pasta with red pepper flakes to taste.
PER SERVING: CALORIES: 633, FAT: 19 g, SAT. FAT: 2 g, CARBS: 38 g, FIBER: 5 g, SUGARS: 5 g, PROTEIN: 78 g, SODIUM: 420 mg, CHOLESTEROL: 163 mg