So many of us wake up feeling tired, hit snooze a million times, and wish it was the weekend so we could sleep in. What if you could wake up feeling energized and ready to take on the day! I’m excited to share with you some yummy foods to jump-start your day.
During my foods to jump-start your day segment on Breakfast television, I shared my three tips to wake up with a bounce in your step. The segment aired on June 25th at 7:20 am.
When you wake up in the morning you have gone at least 8 hours without any water, inevitably you are a little dehydrated. Water is required for almost all bodily functions, including energy production. I suggest drinking a big glass of water as soon as you wake up in the morning.
I love starting the day with lemon water because it wakes me up, jump starts my metabolism and gives me a good dose of vitamin C. Squeeze the juice from 1/2 a lemon into a pint of water and enjoy. I recommend drinking through a glass or stainless steel straw to protect your teeth.
Elixirs are such a delicious way to sneak energizing superfoods and adaptogens into your day. There are lots of premixed elixirs on the market, or you can make your own.
Maca chocolate hemp milk
Morning elixirs are a great way jump-start your day. In the winter I like hot drinks, but in the summer, I go for chocolate milk! This one contains hemp hearts which are high in energizing omega 3 fats, raw cacao which has a bit of caffeine, and maca which is an adaptogenic root that boosts energy among other things.
- 2 cups of water
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- ½-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp maca
- ½ tsp vanilla
Blend and enjoy!
Optionally, you can strain the chocolate milk, but I like to keep the pulp for extra protein and healthy fat. This recipe serves 2.
Eat a breakfast high in protein and fat
Eating a breakfast high in protein and healthy fats is a great way t energize your day. Your body burns fat and protein much more slowly than carbohydrates so it gives you a sustainable energy source.
I top my avocado toast with sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, and everything bagel spice. It is awesome with a fried egg on top for a protein boost.
The perfect breakfast to grab when you are running out the door. They are packed with energy-boosting superfoods, healthy fats and protein. Make a double batch and store them in your freezer for a quick breakfast or snack.
Eat Clean for Energy Course
I am so excited to be the instructor for Clean Eating Academy’s course Eat Clean for Energy. During my 7-week course, I will share all of my energy boosting tips with you and teach you about more foods to jump-start your day. You will learn:
- How the body creates energy
- Energy-zapping foods that should be avoided
- How drinking water boosts energy levels
- How the body uses carbohydrates, fat, and protein to create energy
- Principals of balancing your meals for optimal energy levels
- Which vitamins and minerals are energy boosters and how to easily incorporate them into your diet
- How and why you need to balance blood sugar levels
- The connection between digestion and your energy levels
- How to improve digestion with enzyme and probiotic-rich foods
- The impact hormones have on energy levels
- The power of medicinal mushrooms and adaptogenic herbs
- Easy lifestyles changes to improve energy levels
- How to make yummy recipes that are packed with energy boosting ingredients
I have so much to share with you! I would love for you to join me on this journey to boost your energy levels.