I’m so excited to share with you my segment on Immune-Boosting Foods that aired on Breakfast Television on March 10, 2023. Nutrition plays an important role in supporting the immune system, and there are a variety of foods that can help to strengthen your body’s natural defences. A strong immune system is essential for staying healthy and fighting off anything you are exposed to. These are just a few examples of the many foods that can help boost your immune system. Eating a balanced, nutritious diet is the key to staying healthy.
Chaga Golden Latte
Have you heard of golden lattes? I feel like they are so popular right now because turmeric is super anti-inflammatory. I decided to create my own golden latte with a chaga twist. It is a delicious immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory drink. Get the recipe here.
Health benefits of Chaga
- Chaga is excellent for boosting the immune system due to high levels of Beta-D-Glucans that perform an immuno-modulating activity which supports the immune system.
- Chaga is also high in antioxidants that help our body defend against free radicals.
- Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and has the ability to modulate the immune system.
- It is sweetened with honey which is anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-fungal. It is also great at suppressing coughs.
Deep dive into how to boost your immune system naturally during my virtual or in-person Lunch & Learn. During the Lunch & Learn I explain the link between stress & the immune system and share practical tips to support the immune system naturally. Learn more about my Corporate Wellness Sessions here.
Strawberry Kale Salad
Strawberry Kale Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette is the perfect way to celebrate strawberries with a savoury dish. We so often use them in desserts, it is fun to mix it up! The strawberries complement the peppery arugula and toasted pecans so well and the basil adds a fresh twist. Get the recipe here.
Learn how to make this Strawberry Quinoa Kale Salad and Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp in my virtual corporate cooking class!
Immune-boosting foods in this recipe
- This Salad contains both strawberries and kale which are high in vitamin C.
- Vitamin C is a cofactor in many biochemical reactions of the immune system. It supports various cellular and enzyme functions and protects the immune system against oxidative stress generated during infections.
- The basil in the salad and the vinaigrette has anti-bacterial and antimicrobial properties.
- I also add quinoa and pecans for a plant-based protein punch. Protein is important because it is the building block for immune cells.
Gingerbread Orange Muffins
Gingerbread Orange Muffins are moist and sweet with a hint of warming ginger and zesty orange. Top them with your favourite nut butter and a sprinkle of orange zest for colour! Get a similar recipe here.
Immune-boosting foods in these muffins
- The start of this recipe is ginger which has anti-inflammatory properties that can help support the immune system.
- They get most of their sweetness from blackstrap molasses. Molasses is rich in iron which transports oxygen from the lungs to all cells in the body and plays a key role in energy production and metabolism.
- I also like to add orange juice and zest to sweeten the recipe and increase the vitamin C content.